URN sweeps board at National Awards

University Radio Nottingham is officially named ‘the Best’ student station as it picks up EIGHT awards

For the third year running The University of Nottingham’s student-run radio station, URN, has been named ‘Best Student Station’ at the Student Radio Awards.

URN members celebrate their well-earned success

Last Friday, University Radio Nottingham attended the Student Radio Awards at the IndigO2 in London. The event was supported by BBC Radio 1 and Global Radio, giving URN DJs the opportunity to rub shoulders with hosts Radio 1’s Nick Grimshaw and Capital FM’s Dave Berry.

A grand total of 8 awards were awarded to URN – an outstanding achievement which deserves much celebration!

Besides being the Best Student Station, URN was also named the ‘Best Marketing and Station Sound’.

Giles Gear picked up the Silver Award for ‘Best Newcomer’

Huge congratulations also go to George O’Neill and Giles Gear who both picked up prizes in the ‘Newcomers’ category.

Unlike any other station, URN was awarded bronze, silver and gold in a single category: ‘Best Journalistic Programming’. The awards were for the well-produced podcasts of ‘The Science Show’, ‘The Pulse: Whose Lenton Is It’ and ‘The Pulse: The Truth About Taxis’.

Deputy Station Editor Stu Manton described URN’s success as unbelievable: “To have picked up these awards is incredible, and we are all so proud of our achievements at the Student Radio Awards — to have won three years in a row is just something that we never even thought could happen”

“It feels fantastic to be recognised by such esteemed industry judges, to show that those times sitting up at 4am perfecting a four minute piece of audio were worthwhile. But this really is for the 300 URN members who put in hundreds of hours of work every week to make it all possible.”

Features Co-Editor Will Karkar and Fashion Co-Editor Ashiana Pradhan on the Doff & Seal show

Sam Robinson, one of URN’s much-loved DJ’s commented how “it feels great to be recognised as the best. We will keep trying just as hard as always so that next year we will be recognised as the best again”. Lets hope the station makes it a fourth year!

As well as being successful at the national awards, members of URN have gone on to forge very successful careers in the radio industry, including Rob Howard, Capital FM’s drive-time presenter.

With recent funding from the Student’s Union and Cascade, the station recently undertook a refit to help continue its success. It is clear that they deserve it – well done to all those at URN.

For more information about the station visit www.URN1350.net or follow them on Twitter @URN1350 and Facebook http://www.facebook.com/urn1350?fref=ts