Ten Tunes to… Conquer a Library Session

Struggling to get into the swing of things? These 10 tracks will get you through it…

find good music library music new music nottingham music update my ipod

So it’s Mid – Semester.  The weather is disgusting and Christmas is too far away – but multiple coursework deadlines are terrifyingly close. 

It’s that time again. It’s dreadful, but it’s inevitable… we’re moving into the library – a.k.a the land of fluorescent lights, sorrowful thoughts, procrastination and no temperature control. Not forgetting if you’re on the two lower floors of Hallward that you’ll see everyone you know (even if you don’t want to) and they will insist on talking.

We’ve all been there…

The Tab understands and sympathises – it’s an ordeal. So we’ve taken it upon ourselves to aid your survival by compiling ten songs to get you through a Hallward/George Green/Djanogly session.

No matter your mood, this playlist is guaranteed to postpone the urge to nap, push you through that last hundred words or bout of referencing and give you hope that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Ben Pearce – What I Might Do. We’ll start with something to get you settled into a motivated mindset. Potentially an error to listen to this first… it’s completely addictive.

Disclosure – Latch (feat. Sam Smith). Another one to keep the energy up. Branch out and have a look at the T. Williams mix too.

Jay-Z and Kanye West – Niggas in Paris. Nothing like some angry rap to encourage aggressive yet rapid typing (or reminding you of embarrassing moments on a Friday night).

Alt-J – Breezeblocks.  Some people say it’s ‘nasal’, but in the words of High Renaissance Man, ‘They’re either lying, not telling the truth, or fucking ugly’.

High Rennaissance Man. If you haven’t seen it you need to:

Hallward sessions require a precarious balance – we need energy but not too much.  A random adrenaline kick encourages productivity, but combined with a wannabe ‘Starbucks’ coffee (I’m unconvinced, it’s definitely cheap instant) things could get twitchy.

Keep the headphones in to deter unrequited conversation…

Finnebassen – Touching Me.  Ultimate chill song that ought to get the genius juices flowing.

Wankelmut – One Day.  It’s eight minutes long, so you can kid yourself that you’re working efficiently when a sentence is written by the end.

Ben Howard – Keep Your Head Up. The dreaded wall is looming. Headache behind the eyes, cramps in fingers, inescapable urge to punch the girl with the nose whistle.

Daniel Bedingfield – I Gotta Get Through This.  Desperate times, desperate measures.

Otto Knows – Million Voices. More memories of Ocean. Don’t listen to it too early on or you’ll give up, but we can all agree it’s the best possible motivation to finish coursework on a Friday afternoon…

Imagine Dragons – On Top of the World. Save this song for just before home time – it is absolutely the happiest song in the world. If this doesn’t put a smile on your face and get you pumped for that trek back to Lenton, we don’t know what will.

Check back soon for another Ten Tunes to… play at Pre-drinks…