Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra

World-class orchestra here in Nottingham. Tim Jones checks out the Dresden Philharmonic.

Dresden Philharmonic nottingham tab Royal Concert Hall the tab nottingham Tim Jones university of nottingham

There aren’t many universities that can lay claim to having a world class concert venue on their doorstep. Nottingham’s Royal Concert Hall however is frequently cited as one of the best in the country and on Thursday 25 October it played host to the Dresden Philharmonic, one of the top orchestras in Europe.

The programme featured a musical re-telling of Cinderella by Russian composer Prokofiev as well as Khachaturian’s Violin Concerto and Dvořák’s ‘New World’ Symphony. The orchestra were on fine form and kept a packed-out concert hall on the edge of their seats all night.

The orchestra in action

The symphony was particularly impressive with it’s ground-shaking blasts of trombone and horns and everyone’s favourite ‘Hovis Bread’ tune that sent the audience whistling all the way home.

The Nottingham Classics season is always an excellent opportunity to see and hear outstanding music making. What’s more, tickets are available to students on the free-to-join ‘Go Classics’ scheme for just £5. On Thursday, this ticket also allowed The Tab access to a post-show event with free cocktails and music from the Jon Tullis Jazz Duo – Bargain!

For more info on upcoming concerts and cheap tickets, check out the website.

Check out Mussoc, Blowsoc and Opsoc to find out more about upcoming music performances by students.