10 Things to do this week

Culture Editors Tom Barnes and Amy Sugarman have flicked through the listings and found 10 things you have to see this week…

We sift through the listings so you don’t have to…

1) Everything Everything @ Rescue Rooms

Wednesday, 7.30pm, £12.50

A festival favourite. Also this week at Rescue Rooms are Rolo Tomassi and Delphic.

2)  Philharmonia @ The Great Hall

Sunday, 7.30pm, £8

The University Philharmonia are playing an eclectic mix of new and old in The Great Hall. Works including a new commission by Alex Kolassa, Milhaud’s La création du monde and Beethoven Symphony No.6 ‘Pastoral’.

3)  Craft Club @ Spanky Van Dykes

Tuesday, 8pm, Free entry.

Something that has been intriguing me for some time now. This is advertised as ‘A menagerie of weird of wonderful ways to combine cellotape, shoe glue and coloured paper with good old fashioned beer drinking based frivolities.’ What’s not to like?

4)  Bowling for Soup @ Rock City

Thursday, 6pm, £18.50

These cuddly fellows will definitely stir a good crowd. Known for friendly banter with their audience this is sure to be a great gig.

5)  Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra @ The Royal Concert Hall

Thursday, 7.30pm, £10-32

Playing Prokofiev’s Suite from Cinderella, Khachaturian’s Violin Concerto and the well known Dvořák Symphony No. 9 ‘From the New World’.

6) Freshers Fringe @ Nottingham New Theatre (Trent Building PAS)

Friday and Saturday, 7.30pm (and 2.30pm Sat Mat), £4/5

The warm-up to the main season commences in the PAS with a glimpse of future acting talent from a selection of crowd-pleasing plays and sketches.

7) The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner @ Nottingham Playhouse

Tuesday to Saturday, 7.45pm (and 2.30pm Sat Mat), £4/5), £15

Dismal, bleak, repressive and set in Nottingham. Sound familiar? 4 star reviews from the Independent and the Guardian.

8) Missimp In Action @ Glee Club

Friday, 8pm, £3

Ever had that dream where you’re on stage and you don’t know your lines? That’s essentially what this improvised comedy troop do and its hilarious. Also, a bargain.

9) The D.O.T. @ Bodega

Wednesday, 7pm, £15

Mike Skinner from The Streets is back with his new side project. I remember seeing him at Wembley Stadium, so snap up the chance to see him in an intimate venue quick!

10) 2.54 @ Bodega

Saturday, 7pm, £8

London sisters, critically acclaimed and on the rise. Infallible indie music.