Hugo Sikuade

A few words from Hugo Sikuade on the previous season and the first XI’s chances this year in the first division

In the first of a series of exclusive interviews to be unveiled by The Nottingham Tab Sports Team, Justin Guthrie looked to go behind the scenes of Nottingham’s 1st XI team to get attacker Hugo Sikuade’s thoughts on his debut season last year as well as the team’s aspirations as they delve back into the BUCS Premier League for the first time since 2010.

Tab: First of all Hugo, congratulations on a successful first season playing football for the University of Nottingham 1st XI and further congratulations on promotion!

Hugo: Thanks! Yes we were very pleased to get out of the second division. We wanted promotion at the beginning of the season and knew it would be a tough season but, ultimately, we prevailed with our target of winning the league.

Of course, congratulations aside, the hard work starts now. The team managed promotion by the skin of their teeth, only surpassing local rivals Trent by the virtue of goal-difference after winning five and losing only one! How has pre-season gone?

Everyone in the team is working really hard to ensure we are competitive for the season ahead. Pre-season has gone really well and the entire team looks very sharp so hopefully it should be a good season and we’ll stake our claim in the first division.

This obviously bodes well for the season; what are the team hoping to achieve this year?

Normally – as is the case in any league across the footballing world – the promoted team is expected to struggle. However, we put in some really strong performances last year and are hoping to be a force in the Premier League too. Obviously teams such as Loughborough will be formidable, but we reckon we have a team strong enough to do more than simply avoid relegation. No one really knows what to expect, but we believe our momentum from last year can make up for our lack of experience.

Anyone who’s seen you play knows all about your skills and your ability on the ball; what sort of role can supporters of the 1st XI expect from you this year?

Last year I played a lot on the wing and I hope to continue a similar role either there or up-front. I feel sharp and I hope that this will transcend onto the pitch and result in me starting every game. It will be interesting to see the intake from the freshers, I’ve heard there are some decent players but that can only help our chances of staying up.

So there you have it! Short but sweet from one of the promising stars of this years first XI football team. Next week we’ll be speaking to our talented triathlete DAN BARCLAY.