Andy Hoe.The Man, the Myth, The LEGEND!

The Tab met up with Andy Hoe, the proud owner of the one and only Ocean Nightclub to find out about Flaccid Penis lost property, the carpet and the man himself. […]

The Tab met up with Andy Hoe, the proud owner of the one and only Ocean Nightclub to find out about Flaccid Penis lost property, the carpet and the man himself.

What is Ocean?

“We’re a student only night club where we try to make it as much fun as possible for you guys. We’re not your Mum and Dad, we just want you to have a good time. One of the reasons Ocean works so well is because most people know me. It’s not just another faceless company.”

How many nights do you run?

“Three nights. Wednesday nights are Trent nights, full of sports teams in fancy dress. UofN nights are totally different because everyone knows everyone so there are very few fallouts. Friday is what I’d call a good night out. We always aim to please as many people as possible with the music we play, we try to appeal to the masses.”

Who DJs?

“Myself and another guy, Steve. I’ve done it for about 15 years. It’s been my baby for a long time and seen it build over the years.”

What’s a local’s view on Ocean?

“Locals think we’re closed and wonder how we make money, we just show them the queue.”

You sell out most nights don’t you?

“We even sell very well even during exam term, which is unheard of.”

Any juicy scandals?

“There is a certain place in the building where people like to go and get amorous and they think their out of view, but what they actually are is in full view of the DJ box. We like to bring this to peoples attention. We do have a name for it but it’s quite crude…”

Oh go on we’re a tabloid!...

“My other DJ, Steve, calls it Fingerer’s Corner! We had our first one on Friday…”

Any other stories to tell?

“There was one guy who came upstairs looking for the gents, tried to open my office door by mistake but still took a piss up it! He was marched down the stairs and couldn’t understand why he was chucked out.”

Any interesting lost property?

“I get loads of e mails asking about t shirts and dresses. Once we found a very flaccid stick on penis. We stuck it in random places around the office!”

We’ve been dying to know – why carpet!?

“Hard floors would just be too dangerous, you lot spill more than you drink! We have got through three expensive carpet cleaners in the last few years.”

So, what’s new this year?

“The website has been updated and is more user friendly, it does what it says on the tin. Ocean is always somewhere to come and enjoy yourself.”

Any news on Ocean’s long term future?

“Well, the Broadmarsh expansion is most unlikely for the foreseeable future. I’ve got a five year plan…”

Eplain..?

“Retire! I want to try and step back a little bit, my son is 18 now and has an interest in taking over some of the bits I do.”

What is your view on the uni lifestyle?

“I’d have loved to gone to university. I see what you guys get up to and how much fun you have and have loved to have had that experience.”

Lastly, sum up ocean in three words?

“Busy, Messy, Cheesy. Cant dispute any of those can you?”