Greg James to quit the world of showbiz and return to UEA to teach broadcast journalism

Greg will start off his new career with a DJ set in Freshers’ Week

UEA alumnus Greg James is quitting Radio 1 to return as a lecturer to UEA to teach journalism to the future stars of media.

Soon to make an announcement on Radio 1, Greg has decided to leave his career in London to return to Norwich where he graduated from UEA with a 2:1 in drama.

The AMA (Arts, Media and American Studies) department revealed Greg James will be teaching on the BA (Hons) Broadcast and Multimedia Journalism course for the start of the new academic year in September.

On his reasons for leaving his life in the big smoke, Greg told The Tab Norwich: “Turning 37 was a kind of crisis point in my life where I thought, what am I doing? I’ve met Taylor Swift, fangirled over Harry Styles and I still feel like I need to achieve more.”

Greg will also host a welcome party at the LCR on his return during Freshers’ Week, as he did in 2013 for a Freshers’ event. There might even be a red carpet as Greg could invite some of his celebrity pals to join the party.

Speaking about what he can teach the future journalism stars of today he said: “How to become Greg James! No, I’m joking. I want to bring the party to the course. My inner fresher lives on.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Greg James (@greg_james)

There was even a suggestion that the course could be adapted: “I thought about a DJ module where students and I could take over LCR nights.”

Poppy Trinity, a second year journalism student at UEA told The Tab: “I cannot wait for a welcome party. We rarely see any celebrity stars, other than Sylvester the cat. It is definitely going to be the best start to the final semester!”

Reece Russ, a first year drama student at UEA was excited about potentially getting Greg back on the stage: “It would be great to have him helping with student shows and he’s enough of a show off that he would probably get on stage as well.”

Whilst at university, Greg James became the station manager of Live Wire 1350AM, a popular UEA student radio station. He then missed his graduation to begin working at BBC Radio 1 and eventually took over the Breakfast show.

Journalism students will need to work hard over Easter in order to impress the alumnus star and hopefully follow in his footsteps.

You might wanna check the date, you April Fools x

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @thetab_norwich on Instagram or The Tab Norwich on Facebook.

Greg James finally graduates from UEA eight years after he left the university 

• 11 UEA moments which automatically make you feel like a functioning adult

• 10 iconic Norwich BeReals that every UEA student has definitely taken

Featured image via ITV/YouTube