Image may contain: Person, Human, Banner, Text

UEA students march around Norwich for ‘Reclaim the Night’ event

Signs and banners were held up on the walk down Prince of Wales

On Thursday 21st March at 8:30pm students came out to 'Reclaim the Night', an event organised by Sophie Atherton (Campaigns and Democracy Officer) along with the help of other UEA students.

The event started at The Doghouse Bar where students gave some speeches and read some poems. Third year International Development and Environment Student, Lotty Clare, opened the mic with a letter written to a group of transphobic lesbians she had met the previous week, stating that they do not speak for her and trans people are welcome in Norwich.

Image may contain: Document, Page, Diary, Book, Handwriting, Text

Letter by Lotty Clare.

It was followed by a poem by Fiona Igwe called 'I slept with my make up on' which she stated she wrote on her way out of the gym. The poem denounced hate crime on all levels (racism, sexism, sexual harassment) and was greatly applauded.

Image may contain: Woman, Pants, Screen, Display, Monitor, Electronics, Face, Female, Microphone, Electrical Device, Human, Person, Clothing, Apparel

Fiona Igwe reading 'I slept with my make up on'.

After that performance, Sophie Atherton herself read a poem called 'Still I rise' written by Maya Angelou. Sophie told The Tab: "Reclaim the Night is an important event for so many reasons and a number of our community at UEA. It was fantastic to see students come together yesterday evening and speak about sexual harassment, hate and prejudice before marching down Prince of Wales road. It's a space where women and allies, people of colour and members of our LGBT community can come together."

Image may contain: Pub, Wood, Female, Furniture, Footwear, Shoe, Human, Person, Clothing, Apparel

Sophie Atherton, Campaings and Democracy Officer.

Lastly for the speeches, third year student Gabriela Williams read 'The F word' poem right before some chants were practised and the march started.

The march was a walk started at The Doghouse bar, past NUA towards Be At One. After that it turned down Prince of Wales to make a turn around right at Loft Nightclub and back the same way towards the starting point.

Image may contain: License, Driving License, Text, Document, Atlas, GPS, Electronics, Plot, Diagram, Map

'Reclaim the Night' walk.

Image may contain: People, Apparel, Footwear, Shoe, Clothing, Banner, Crowd, Text, Person, Human

From a personal point of view, it was a very wholesome night to prove that Norwich is inclusive and a safe space for everyone, regardless of gender, sexuality, and race.

Bonus points, the chants were catchy.

Reclaim the night 2019

Reclaim the night was amazing yesterday. Wonderful to see such variety in participants. Love, not hate, makes Norwich great.

Posted by Rob Klim for Non-Portfolio on Friday, March 22, 2019