Image may contain: Urban, Building, Park, Outdoors, Lawn, Plant, Grass

A UEA first year has died, the university confirm

He was discovered in university halls on Tuesday morning

UEA have told students that a first year student has died on campus.

A male student, who has been name by the university as Theo Brennan Hulme, was found dead in his campus room yesterday (March 12th).

The university emailed all students in the School of Literature, Creative Writing and Drama this morning to inform them.

The email, sent by head of LDC Alison Donnell, called Hulme’s death "the very worst news".

"I recognise that many of you will be affected by this loss to our school and I have cleared my diary for the next two days to welcome you to my office to talk or just sit quietly as you wish."

Prof Donnell added: "I am aware that there is currently discussion in the news about supports for students at a local and a national level.

"As a school we take the wellbeing of our students very seriously and we want to be part of this discussion. If you wish to share anything on this subject please do contact me.

"Please remember that your wellbeing is more important than anything else."

In a statement Prof Donnell added: "Theo was a warm and personable young man and highly regarded by his lecturers, tutors and classmates as a talented writer with a huge amount of promise. He had quickly established himself as a much-loved member of our first year cohort and he will be greatly missed by all of us.

"Theo’s tutors have shared their strong sense of him as a thoughtful and committed student. His writing was a pleasure to read, filled with originality, engaging details and often humour. Theo could produce works of crisp precision or write more quirkily contemplative characters.

"Theo’s family have been informed and our foremost thoughts are with them, as well as his friends. I have opened up my office for any student or staff member within LDC who feels affected by Theo’s loss."

Norfolk Police told The Norwich Tab: "Police were called by the ambulance service at approximately 10:45am on Tuesday 12 March following a sudden death at a premises on the campus.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the Coroner ahead of the inquest which will take place in due course."

In a statement to The Norwich Tab, the university said: "The death of a UEA student is something that affects out community deeply and, at this time, it is all the more important for both students and staff to look out for each other.

"If any student of staff member needs help with mental health and wider wellbeing, then please reach out for help.

"Don't think that your problem is not severe enough to ask for help, or that help is not there.

"Help and support is available, so please contact the Student Support Services (01603 592761) or email [email protected] if you need to, or encourage friends and colleagues to do the same."

Anybody affected by the news can contact UEA Student Support Services on 01603 592761 and [email protected]

The Samaritans helpline can be contacted on 116 123