Image may contain: Machine, Apartment Building, High Rise, Urban, City, Town, Office Building, Building

First year student confirmed dead by UEA

Members of staff called him ‘impressive and dazzling’

A first year student has died at their home in Norwich, the university has confirmed.

The university have named the student as Patrick Birbeck, a first year studying English Literature and Creative Writing.

The university have released the following statement: "It is with great sadness that we report the death of Patrick Birbeck, a first year English Literature and Creative Writing student, who died at his home in Norwich last week.

"Patrick joined the school as a mature student and his aptitude for creative writing, as well as his critical instincts, were already evident.

"Patrick was praised by members of staff, including seminar tutor, Professor Tess McWatt who recalled how Patrick's first contributions to the creative writing seminar were instantly impressive and dazzling.

"His intelligence, and subtle handling of language, his humour and rigour, all pointed towards huge talent."

Professor Alison Donnell, Head of School for Literature, Drama and Creative Writing conveyed her deepest condolences to Patrick's friends and family, on behalf of the school and the wider University community.

The university have offered their full support to any students and staff affected by Patrick's death, adding: "Counselling is offered to students and staff directly affected by Patrick's death and we would urge anyone across the university community who feels they need support to contact Student Support Services."