Image may contain: Worship, Church, Cathedral, Building, Architecture

Norwich church opens its doors to the homeless during extreme weather

St Peter Mancroft Church has become a safe place for those who would otherwise be sleeping in the snow

St Peter Mancroft Church in the city centre has opened its doors the past few nights in order to help the homeless population in Norwich following the extreme weather.

The church is offering a warm place to stay, with hot drinks and food until Saturday. Norwich has been severely affected by the 'Beast from the East' and so this initiative is a lifesaver for many people.

Image may contain: Text

A post on the LCR Ticket Exchange asks for any spare clothes

Speaking to Inspire, a spokesperson for Norwich City Council said: We have found beds for 33 rough sleepers since Friday. We are working with St Peter Mancroft, partner agencies and volunteers to provide shelter and additional beds in the church."

Eric Hewson, who has been organising this effort, said: "Wow! The support today has been amazing – stressful but worth it. My phone has been going off like a call centre with so many wonderful people wanting to help – so a massive 'thank you'."

Donations of food and clothing are encouraged, and if you would like to volunteer to help, it is advised you contact Eric Hewson on Facebook.