Image may contain: Parade, Audience, Crowd, Person, People, Human

Heres some random facts about UEA and Norwich you probably didn’t know

The more you know the better

UEA and Norwich have a pretty interesting history. So we've compilled a list of random and interesting facts about both that aren't always common knowledge, lets see how many you know.

The Ziggurats are actually Grade II listed buildings

It may come as a shock we know.

UEA's first Vice-Chancellor, Frank Thistlethwaite, employed brutalist architect Denys Lasdun to design UEA's now rather iconic campus. Although Lasdun was replaced by Bernard Feilde, the buildings he designed were listed Grade II under the Planning Act in 1990.

UEA's Creative Writing Course is the first and best MA course in the subject

Pretty much as it says on the tin. UEA's Creative Writing Course MA was first established in 1970 as the first of its kind in the UK, with the first PhD in Creative and Critical Writing created in 1987. The MA course is also considered the best in country with alumni Kazuo Ishiguro, actually being a Nobel Prize winner.

One UEA Alumni co-discovered Hepatitis C

Image may contain: Shop, Pharmacy, Person, People, Human

The man himself.

UEA Alumni Michael Houghton, a virologist by proffession, was part of the team of scientists that discovered Hepatitis C in 1989. He also co-discovered the Hepatitis D genome in 1986. The discovery of Hepatitis C helped reduce the risk of acquiring HCV through blood transfusion. Its estimated that this has helped prevent at least 40,000 new infections per year in the US alone and many more worldwide.

UEA has a building named after the first book published by a women in English

The Julian Study Centre is named after Julian of Norwich wrote Revelations of Divine Love in around 1395. The book is the earliest known book to be written by a woman in the English language.

Intu Chapelfield used to be a chocolate factory

Think I'd prefer it as a chocolate factory.

Now a massive shopping centre, it wasn't always the case. Upon where Chapelfield stands used to be the Caleys (later Rowntree Mackintosh and Nestlé) chocolate factory.

Norwich is home to one of the best Pubs in the country

Image may contain: Street Sign, Sign, Road Sign

This over the SU any day.

There may be four spoons here but Norwich is a treasure trove for pubs. Infact one such pub, The Fat Cat, has routinely been listed amongst the best in the country. I would highly recommend.

Prince of Wales Road has been named one of the most dangerous in the country

We've all been there, the infamous Prince of Wales Road. What some of you may not know is that in 2015 it was listed as the fourth most dangerous place to drink in the UK. This was due to the number of drinkers seeking hospital treatment after a night out.

Over 40% of graduates from Norwich live and work locally

Norwich's massive open market.

As the title says, a lot of graduates here in Norwich tend to stay. So even after your three years or more are done, you'll probably end up staying. To be honest, I'm not sure if thats good or bad.