Exclusive: Hundreds of academic advisors at UEA haven’t completed compulsory training

Out of 1000 advisors less than 200 have completed it

The Tab can reveal that out of the 1000 academic advisors and 26 senior academic advisors at UEA, only 184 have completed compulsory training over the past five years. The training is meant to be undertaken through the Blackboard site when starting as an advisor and then every three years.

As detailed on the UEA website the academic advisor training offered is to “ensure that they are fully briefed on the requirements of the role and are able to refer advisees to the other specialist support services as required.

It is the responsibility of the University to offer Adviser training opportunities and of Heads of Schools, normally through their Senior Adviser, to highlight training requirement for Advisers and ensure Advisers attend at the required frequencies.”

Commenting on the issue, the SU Undergraduate Education Officer Mary Leishman said “UEA students want, are promised and pay for a great student experience. This includes an advisor system that includes effective support on academic issues, careers, pastoral issues and an awareness of mental health – as well as effective signposting to University services.

“These figures just are not acceptable – so it’s time the University actually delivers on its promise, putting in place a proper system to make sure staff carrying out this role are appropriately trained. I’ll be fighting for UEA to deliver on these promises for students, as an SU priority, in coming weeks.”

A university spokesperson stated; “UEA is committed to providing the highest level of advising support for all its students. To help achieve this the University provides face-to-face training sessions and a new online site for all advisers along with biannual meetings for Senior Advisers to share best practice. Recent NSS results show a high level of satisfaction amongst students with their academic support, and the University will continue to seek further improvements in its provision.”