All the things you’ll miss about uni when you go home for summer

Home can be lovely, but uni is where all the fun is

At exam time, everyone starts to miss their home comforts. But what we soon realise is, home isn’t all that its cracked up to be when suddenly day drinking is frowned upon and you have to deal with your parents again.

Uni Club Nights

As good as your home clubs might be, nothing beats the sticky floors and the cheap VK’s of the LCR. Yes your home clubs may have clean floors, classy doormen and decent music… but there’s something comforting about knowing all your mates are going to be out and that you’re probably not going to spend more than a tenner in a night. With Mr. Brightside a guaranteed play, the LCR and its squad photos are better than any home club has to offer for sure.

Its all about the squad photos

Day Drinking

Somehow as students, we forget that the rest of the world tend not to down a couple of snakey b’s in the middle of the day on a library break in The Square At uni its perfectly acceptable, but when you’re out for a walk with the dog at home and you start to crave that refreshing blackcurrant hit, your parents think you’re some kind of alcoholic. The glass of wine you usually share with the parents at dinner feels like a shit pre-drinks and you find yourself wanting to go on a sesh after the Sunday roast.

Pimms in the middle of writing a summative? Why the hell not

Your snakey housemates

At this time of the year, your snakey housemates are usually the last people you want to see. But you don’t know what you have until its gone. When you get home there’s suddenly nobody to bitch about or get the gossip from, your life has a big ol’ snake shaped hole in it. As much as you hate your housemates for leaving their shit around the house, you’ll definitely miss them when you’re hungover at home and have nobody to share the dominos order with in order to make the most of the deals or run to the shops and get your hangover cure.

Eating whatever the hell you want and not having anyone bitch to you about it

We forget that when we go home we have to eat on our parents time. No eating leftover curry or last nights drunk pizza order for breakfast, and certainly no popping to the bar for some poppin chicken for lunch. If your parents are anything like mine, suddenly every meal is under scrutiny – at uni we don’t have to worry about whether we’re consuming anything remotely nutritious. No more beige dinners for us.

The hangover breakfast is the most nutritious meal on the planet and nobody can argue.

Getting to bed at 3am

When you go home, suddenly your parents are all over your back for your nocturnal habits. Going to bed at 3 am and waking up at 12 pm isn’t something normal adults do. And don’t get me started on pre-sesh naps, parents just don’t understand the concept of napping and rallying. Let me live my sleepy life and get on with yours.

This photo was taken at 3pm. We hadn’t left the bed from the night before.

The Square

Rain or shine, there’s always something exciting happening in the square. Whether you’re catching up with friends or simply sitting there grabbing lunch, its the heart of the UEA campus. You’re always bound to see someone you know, and if not, it’s a great place to sit and catch up with campus gossip. You’re certainly gonna miss this when you’re at home.

This lot are the big group that take up all the space

Swearing

Perhaps the hardest thing to keep under control when you’re at home is keeping the ‘f***ks sake’ and ‘s**t me’ when you stub your toe or drop something under control. Swearing is a part of the vocabulary at uni, but unless your parents are total hippies, chances are you’re going to have to stick with ‘gosh darn’ and ‘golly’ until the end of summer. You’ll have a few slip ups, that’s fine, but save a potential ‘f**k’ situation with a ‘flipping heck’ and you’ll get away scot-free.

Basically, when you go home, you have to act like a proper adult, instead of the constantly drunk slob that you’ve become at university. Having your parents pay for stuff and feed you every day will seem like a luxury for all of about 2 days, then the real homesickness will kick in. Don’t even get us started on the ‘home’ vs ‘home-home’ talk you’ll inevitably have with your mum.