UEA students set up GoFundMe page to replace stolen wheelie bin

The council want £40 for a new one

A house of UEA third years have created a GoFundMe page as part of a plea for the safe return of their wheelie bin.

Writing on the LCR Ticket Exchange Facebook group, Ayo Shekoni said: “It happened so suddenly, in the blink of an eye. He was gone. Our dear wheelie, the blue in our life has been taken.

“Our blue bin was sadly taken a week ago, guys we can’t do recycling!! We have searched for days on end to find the barbarians who stole him.”

The post, which received over 200 likes, includes two links to their GoFundMe page. The group also created their own ‘missing’ poster for the wheelie bin, in which they claim that the wheelie bin “talks a lot of trash” and will be “begging to come home to his fam”.

Speaking to The Tab Norwich, Ayo said: “It was a dark spring evening when we last saw him. He had just been brought in from his regular collection. Saturday was his day of rest. Our recycling hadn’t piled up yet. Then we opened the back door and wheelie was gone! We do not know who took him, and as a house we feel bereft without wheelie.

“It was my flatmate Ashley’s idea to start the GoFundMe page in wheelie’s honour, after we had been told it would cost us £40 to replace him. We are five poverty stricken 3rd years, we will not get another student finance payment, we move out of our house next month”.

At the time of publication, the group had received two £5 donations, leaving them £30 away from paying the fine set by Norwich City Council.

You can donate to the GoFundMe page here.

@YungGeebles