What it’s like going to uni in your hometown

It has its downsides

You either know where everything is…

You can easily point everyone in the direction of the best shops, restaurants, bars and even the nearest bus stop. Surely you know this city like the back of your hand?

Come on, I know the way…

…Or you know where nothing is.

(No one should trust you with directions)

What even are maps?

Even if you move into uni accommodation, travelling home is still pretty relaxed compared to other students

Yep, whilst some will spend hours journeying by car, or even plane, you’ll be comforted by the fact you can make it back in less than an hour.

Do you even need a suitcase to go home?

Which is a blessing because your pets never seem too far away

Sometimes, your parents will even bring them to visit you.

Your dog will just love towing you around the lake.

And your old school friends are always nearby… and they will take full advantage of your free floor space

In your first semester, you’ll probably have at least one person camping out on your floor because they missed the last bus home.

Always be prepared for someone to visit

But this also means you can introduce them to your uni friends

And they can share embarrassing stories about you…

“NOOOOOOOO!!!”

On a night out, you’re bound to see someone you went to school with

It will be awkward, and you won’t have spoken since French in Year 9, but you will get used to it.

I do not need to be reminded of when I looked like this…

Every time you see something that reminds you of your pre-uni self, you’ll be filled with nostalgia

Whether it’s the bus you used to take home, the restaurant you always went to on your birthday, or the Starbucks that you and your friends once sat in for two hours.

Ah, the memories.

And despite some of the downsides, you love this place. After all, it’s home.