Cocaine worth £50m just washed up on the beach in Great Yarmouth

Almost a dozen holdalls rammed with the substance have been found

Hide Images

Over 360 kilograms of cocaine has been found on Norfolk beaches either side of Great Yarmouth today, said to be worth over £50 million at street value. The police were called to the scene after a some passers by found almost a dozen mysterious looking holdalls.

Upon inspection, the luggage was rammed with cocaine divided into small packages and the National Crime Agency was called to the scene. Later in the day, more luggage was discovered at a second location further along the coast near Caister-on-Sea.

A representative from the the NCA’s border investigation team told the Guardian: “We are now working with Border Force, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and Norfolk police to try to establish how the bags ended up where they did. It is extremely unlikely that this was their intended destination.

“This is obviously a substantial seizure of class A drugs and its loss will represent a major blow to the organised criminals involved.”

The police have issued that as far as they believe, all luggage related to this incident has been seized.

In a Facebook post sharing today’s events with the wider public, the National Crime Agency said: “£50 million of cocaine has washed up on two Norfolk beaches. Our officers are investigating. And you thought your missing luggage was bad…

“If anyone wants to come and claim it, we’re keeping it safe for you [wink emoji]