Every reason that Norwich should be the capital of the UK

If it’s good enough for Queeny, it’s good enough for the rest of us

It was widely reported that the Queen was struck down with a bad bout of flu in December. But as soon as she was well again, she came over to visit the best place in England: none other than our lovely Norwich. This little city needs the recognition it deserves, and in my opinion, should be the rightful capital of the United Kingdom. I mean, London is so overrated anyway.

It’s historically significant

Norwich is one of the oldest cities in Britain and was once the second biggest destination in the country. You’ll find pretty cobblestone streets and majestic medieval buildings that date all the way back to the 1200s; exploring Norwich is like stepping back in time.

The Queen clearly adores us

We were first up on the Queen’s list of places to visit in 2017. The first place that she visited after recovering from a serious flu that kept her indoors for a bit was none other than our beloved little city. The Queen loves us. What more is there to say?

We have a kind political outlook

Norwich is like a huge cuddly teddy bear that embraces everyone who approaches it, and gets angry when anyone is bullied. As long as you’re not mean, Norwich will welcome anyone with open arms. As kind as Norwich is, this little city does like to stand up for people from time to time.

We know how to hold a proper celebration

Norwich may be tiny, but its celebrations can be huge. Even if you may find yourself jostling through an insane crowd of people trying to get a good view of the fireworks, the hyped up atmosphere and big spectacles are pretty awesome. The tunnel of lights that was up in Norwich for Christmas last year was my personal favourite.

We have a smashing music scene

In Norwich, there’s always a bit of music on the streets, in the pubs and in our awesome concert venues. Talented young musicians dot the city and bring it to life with their tunes. But there are also big acts, such as You Me At Six and NeYo who choose to come to Norwich to perform. Obviously because they know Norwich is one of the best places in the UK.

You can shop till you drop

We have everything from cheap makeup at Superdrug to branded clothes from Zara and Topshop. Not to mention the cute but fancy look of many of the shops along the streets. There are also adorable little independent stores that sell handmade items that warm the heart.

It’s full of quintessentially British bars

As an international student, I was extremely keen on experiencing English culture through Britain’s celebrated pubs and Norwich certainly did not disappoint. A pub-crawl in Norwich, complete with cheap booze and loud, carefree laughter everywhere, is one of the most English things one can do.

Norwich is literally a haven for English literature

Norwich was named the UNESCO City of Literature for a reason. With so much literature to be found in its many bookstores and a university (ahem, UEA) known for its creative writing course, you could say that Norwich literally breeds good writers and is a heaven for avid readers. And good literature is a crucial part of the culture in the UK.

Even Mother Nature has smiled down upon this little place

Norwich is a nice mix of nature and modernity. With gorgeous, tranquil lakes and green fields, Norwich manages to show off some of the best nature sites that can be found in the UK. It’s not always about the glamour and hustle bustle of the city.

It’s basically the epitome of an English town

It’s not always about the glamour of the city. Sometimes, people need to be reminded of the UK’s cultural roots. For me, the old streets, cute little buildings, cafes with good coffee and tea and wonderful people in Norwich beat the busyness and general chaos in London anytime.