The mastermind behind the Bernie Sanders stunt has been revealed

He was standing up for freedom of speech on campus

On Monday, someone stuck a picture of Bernie Sanders on top of the Christmas tree in the square. For days, the mysterious hero behind the stunt remained nameless, and the population of UEA was left guessing who was responsible for such an act of mood-lifting bravery.

Today, the individual came forward, and it was no one less than UEA’s Maddest Fresher of 2016: Rob Klim. The second year history student told us why he decided that UEA needed a picture of Bernie at the top of their Christmas tree.

What made you decide to put a picture of Bernie Sanders on top of the Christmas tree in the square?

I just wanted to promote free speech on campus, really. UEA’s got some mad rules about submitting an application for every case of flyering, putting up any sign, or doing any kind of stunt. It seems silly that they’re not encouraging their students to get involved and stand up for what they believe.

I knew a nice picture of the beautiful Democratic socialist would have the potential to insight political debate, especially if it was out on the Christmas tree. But, case in point it got TAKEN DOWN STRAIGHT AWAY. But what else can you really expect from the uni’s safe space culture?

What’s the response you’ve received been like?

The response has been positive. People love seeing Bernie’s face, and climbing the Christmas tree is always fun. People need the positivity of his smiling face in the dark time of seasonal depression and coursework – I did it so that his light could shine down on them all.

Although most of the response has been good, which shows in how often the pictures were shared on Facebook, if you didn’t like what I did then that’s good too – you stand up for your opinion. It’s all about freedom of speech, baby.

How did you feel like security took it down?

I wasn’t surprised. I remember a couple of weeks ago someone else had put up a banner on the barriers by Unio hanging over the square about student loans and fees, and they were immediately asked to take it down again. It’s the University’s policy, but I do find it restricting and think it needs reconsidering.

I wish I could have been there though to see a member of campus security climb the tree, too, to get Bernie’s picture down. That could have been funny.

Have you got any other similar stunts in the pipeline?

Acts such as these only come about when they make themselves evident to me, it is power of destiny and my angel Bernie Sanders that guides one on my journey through life. I don’t know what I’ll be doing next, but all I know is I hope Bernie makes another appearance soon.