Someone stuck a picture of Bernie Sanders on top of the Christmas tree in the square

He was the real star of 2016

In the early hours of this morning, a mysterious hero climbed the dazzling blue Christmas tree in the middle of the square in order to add its final, festive touch: an A4 cropped picture of Bernie Sanders’ face.

In a year that’s failed to make any sort of political sense, Bernie was the kind Democrat soul who promised a better future for all. The 75 year old failed to win the role of presumptive Democrat nominee and since then, well, everything’s gone significantly downhill for America. It was in this way that Bernie and his sweet, heartfelt promises felt like the real star of 2016.

Despite the grand ornament’s political poignance and sheer beauty, the piece of paper was removed by campus security shortly after its initial discovery when students and staff arrived on campus this morning.

Non-portfolio Union officer Jack Robinson was one of the first to notice the new addition to the Christmas decorations on campus, and posted a picture to Facebook with the caption: “Oh my god, someone’s put Bernie Sanders on top of UEA’s Christmas tree!”

The person responsible for the tree’s decoration has yet to come forward, but I think we can all assume that they’re supporting Bernie for 2020.