Vandals have already wrecked the Christmas lights in city centre

This is why we can’t have nice things

The new, festive Tunnel of Lights in city centre has been temporarily closed due to ‘technical maintenance’ only six days after opening following a group of vandals going at it with wire cutters.

If you haven’t seen it, the Tunnel of Lights is Norwich’s newest seasonal attraction, consisting of a 45 foot long tunnel made up of 50,000 pulsating LED bulbs which apparently is meant to create a similar pattern and effect to the Northern Lights. It’s any fairylight lover’s dream come true.

However the tunnel was closed yesterday due to technical faults, which has since been blamed on some vandals who have been accused of chopping it up with some wire cutters.

Although they haven’t yet caught the pesky culprits behind the damage, Stefan Gurney, chief executive of Norwich Business Improvement District, told the EDP: “We have spoken to the police and are working to make sure we reduce the impact of what has happened.

“We want to get the tunnel up and running again as soon as possible.”

The Christmas lights were only switched on last Thursday by the one and only Ed Balls, and were closed for the technical glitch only six days later. Well that lasted long.

Featured Image: @NorfolkSpecials on Twitter.