Battle of the Bands was great, and supported a good cause too

Livewire teamed up with UEA’s Migrant Solidarity Campaign to raise funds and awareness

It’s safe to say that this year’s Battle of the Bands was pretty lit. The acts came in all shapes and sizes with a variety of styles and sounds, but judging from the crowds in Blue Bar, everyone had a great time. The annual event is hosted by Livewire but this year they were joined by UEA Migrant Solidarity, who were collecting donations throughout the night.

UEA’s Migrant Solidarity Campaign was set up in order to respond to to the ongoing global migration crisis, “in particular by fighting the UK government’s unacceptable treatment of migrants,” one collector told me, “from those fleeing danger to encamped, detained and deported asylum seekers and migrant workers”. The campaign strive towards their aims through funding from donations at events such as Battle of the Bands.

The musical talent on display was incredible which shone through in the positive feedback from the judging panel, including music producers from the local BBC Introducing, and SONY.

Third year Isobel Zarb was a folky solo act, who said “UEA is more convenient” for finding places and venues to gig at than her homestead Yorkshire. She also commented on Norwich’s music scene as a whole, and how “UEA gets good acts” like Staves and Bear’s Den.

Isobel has been playing since she was 13, but still owns up to her petrifying stage fright. She compared it to taking an exam, saying it doesn’t get any less nerve-wracking. Regardless, the praise from the judges was glowing.

Isobel Zarb taking to the stage

Another act was the post-hardcore, post-punk band ‘Hugo Z’ who produce all of their own music and even creating their own set. Everything about the night felt home-grown and proud of that.

Organiser Pippa Brown told the Tab that the event “raised loads of money for migrant solidarity. The resident Livewire DJs afterwards were pretty good too”, she added.

It was a happy night for the crowd, and hopefully the money raised will ensure that migrants can look towards a happier night too.