Almost half of UEA students find consent classes patronising

49 per cent of you said that the classes patronise students

In the Tab’s recent sexual assault survey, almost half UEA respondents said that they thought sexual consent classes were patronising.

Over 470 UEA students and graduates responded to the Tab’s survey, with 49 per cent agreeing to the above statement.

Of the 35 universities that responded, UEA had the joint-sixth highest percentage of respondents finding the classes patronising.

Loughborough topped the list, with 60 per cent of respondents finding the classes patronising.

59 per cent of respondents from UEA also said that they thought the classes should be compulsory which means at least 10 per cent of respondents thought the classes were both necessary and patronising, suggesting that there is an issue with the way that the classes are currently run or perceived.

Only one in 20 of UEA respondents admitted to ever attending a class or workshop on consensual sex, which was the joint lowest percentage across the country.

In light of these findings, Welfare, Community and Diversity Officer Jo Swo told the Tab: “At UEASU we know that whilst some students find consent classes useful, we know others find them patronising – but in our view they’re also too late.

“That’s why we would argue they are best run within schools where the most difference can be made.

“When it comes to student life we’re looking at what really works and the evidence suggests that investing in bystander programmes (where students feel supported and able to intervene in situations) are the thing that could make the most difference on a campus like UEA.

“We’re also looking to roll out ‘Never OK’ to the city in partnership with the local council and police.”

The survey was conducted after a consent class at Cambridge University was left completely unattended and a Warwick student caused outrage across the media last year after broadcasting that he didn’t feel that consent classes were necessary, stating “I don’t have to be taught not to be a rapist”. You can read his argument piece here.