Over half of UEA students have suffered with a mental health illness

Welfare officer Jo Swo agrees that UEA’s previous facilities weren’t up to scratch

In the Tab’s recent mental health survey it was disclosed that 51 per cent of UEA students have experienced, or still suffer from, some form of mental health illness.

The findings which were revealed on Saturday placed UEA 18th out of 30 universities for our facilities’ overall effectiveness. This puts us in the bottom half of the table and makes the sheer abundance of students seeking help even more concerning.

The University also consistently placed towards the bottom of the table in regards to the amount of investment funnelled into the counselling services available at UEA.

Nevertheless, UEA was voted as having the fifth most approachable mental welfare and healthcare service out of the 30 universities, with over 96 per cent of students saying that the found the services accessible and welcoming.

Commenting on the survey’s findings, Students’ Union Welfare, Community and Diversity Officer Jo Swo told the Tab:

“The Tab’s findings are fascinating – underlining our own research that demonstrates that whilst students value and appreciate the old “Dean of Students” office, its funding and internal organisation haven’t kept up with the double whammy of increased student mental health issues and the growth in UEA students.”

When quizzed on what the University and Students’ Union were planning on doing to improve UEA’s mental health facilities and services, Swo said:

“Over the summer the summer the University has made a start – there’s a new management team, a new name (“Student Support Services”) and new counsellors have been hired.

“But what we are calling for is a proper UEA Mental Health strategy, with real input from students, that deals properly with prevention and sufficient support when students need it.”