A pygmy goat escaped from the petting zoo on campus yesterday

He was the size of a hen

A pygmy goat tried to make an escape from the animal pen that was in the square yesterday.

The goat, named socks, escaped and hid under a parked car while dozens of people watched.

The animals were on campus to encourage third year and post-grads to sign up for the National Student Survey which is currently under way.

The farmyard animals from Ark Farm, an educational mobile farm from Norfolk, returned to the square after the union’s popular ‘goats for votes’ campaign in 2015 which encouraged students to register for the general election.

This year featured guest appearances from a cow, sheep, ducks, chickens and pygmy goats too.

However, as the student ambassadors and animal hands were packing up the pen and leading the animals to their trailers outside the LCR, one little pygmy goat had other ideas and fled at the opportunity.

Socks ran under a parked car and refused to be lured out by the growing crowd of spectators.

Socks and his saviour

After several minutes one student ambassador managed to reach the goat, approximately the same size as a hen, and the valiant hero was met with applause from the crowd.

Socks was unavailable for comment, but is believed to be all okay despite his attempt to make a run for it and join the rabbits by the lake.

If you’re a final year or a post-graduate student, you can participate in the National Student Survey here.