Do UEA students think the Union censors too much?

Maybe you all just want to read the Sun

The Union Council voted against selling both the Sun and Daily Star for the third year running this month, with 74 per cent voting to boycott it again.

This and other events on campus (ahem, sombrero-gate) have sparked a discussion among UEA students as to whether the SU censors too much.

We spoke to a few UEA students to hear their opinions.

Aimee, Education, second year

“I think the ban is a bit silly really, we should be free to read whatever we want to read. Having said that, I can’t say this has affected my life personally.”

Phoebe, American Literature and Creative Writing, first year

“Personally I think UEA isn’t too censored. But that’s because it hasn’t directly affected me. I also think that if they do censor too much they are doing it for a good reason, to make people feel as comfortable as possible being a student at UEA.”

Josh Smith, Language and Business, second year

“To be honest I think the policy is a little immature of the UEA. If the University wants to brand itself as left wing and liberal which it does, that should mean they provide platforms for all.

“It should be a personal choice whether you want to buy a certain newspaper or not and you shouldn’t be restricted in doing so. They should maybe encourage us not to buy these newspapers, but shouldn’t ban them all together.”

Nina, English Literature and Creative Writing, first year

“I believe that media should be available to students in all forms, whether it’s through the Independent or The Sun. At the end of the day, both provide information about what’s happening in the world.”

Kate, English and American Literature, first year

“In terms of media types I don’t really think selling newspapers or not on campus makes much of a difference. It’s just to show that as a university as a whole we don’t support the views of these newspapers. It’s not like we’re taking massive action against the views expressed in them.”

Anna, English Literature, second year

“Honestly I think it is too censored – when I heard about the Sun that was my immediate reaction. There comes a point where trying to protect people from offence actually inhibits freedom of speech and the press.

“I want my University to listen to all voices, no matter how controversial, because if they don’t they’re restricting us. We should be exposed to everything so we can draw proper judgements.”

Tom, Pharmacy, second year

“I believe in the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press. This is essential for democracy, so all views should be heard. At the same time the Union is independent and independently run, so they can choose what they sell, that freedom they have is necessary.

“However I’m part of the Christian Union at the UEA and up until this year we weren’t even allowed to meet on campus for fear of offending anyone. But it has got a lot better and they’ve definitely given us more freedom this year, so it is improving.”

Ashleigh, American History, first year 

“I don’t really have a strong opinion on it because I didn’t know about it! But as a general reader of The Sun (because I love the gossip) I would say that not selling the newspaper is not allowing every student on campus to have a say, be part of it all or be heard. Maybe the Union is only trying to appeal to a certain type of student.”

Ellie, English and American Literature, first year

“I would say that we all have a right to read what we want to read. If people want to read these types of newspaper then we should sell them, if not, then we shouldn’t.”

Georgia, Education, second year

“Everyone should have the choice to read whatever they want to. But I can’t really say much about it because it hasn’t affected me personally.”