Cheating on coursework at UEA has risen by three quarters in three years

International students are three times as likely to be caught

The amount of UEA undergraduates cheating on their coursework has increased by three quarters in the last three years.

Last year 2.9 per cent of international undergraduates were caught cheating on their coursework, in contrast to one per cent of students from the UK and EU.

The percentages amount to around 156 undergraduates and postgraduates found to be cheating between 2014 and 2015.

Dr Adam Longcroft, Academic Director of Taught Programs, has said that around half the cases were only classed as “low level” cheating.

This includes failing to reference work properly, as well as the unsuitable use of cutting and pasting.

The rest of the cases fall under two categories, with 44 per cent of students falling into the “medium level” classification, and only four per cent eligible for the “high level” – which would result in exclusion or revoking of a degree.

Despite cheating levels in coursework rising, cheating in exams has fallen: compared to two years ago where sixteen students were caught cheating, last year only one student was recorded to have been dishonest.

In an attempt to battle the issue, UEA is implementing further safeguards in order to inform and educate students on cheating.

Each school within the university will now have a plagiarism officer, and the university will also use text matching software and hold meetings in order to question suspected students.

Further precautions include thoroughly checking large collections of work, and training students in how to manage their time better.