Clubbing in final year just isn’t fun anymore

Good luck finding friends to go out with

Final year is a time where you are not only overworked and over-tired thanks to your dissertation, but there’s the added pressure of having to think about the future.

You’re also now living off-campus, no longer a mere 5-minute walk to all the on-campus delights. With all this going on, getting out to the clubs just doesn’t seem as worthwhile anymore.

Why am I here? I’m all ready for bed

The rigorous daily demands leave you wanting nothing more than to snuggle up with Netflix trying to put off that dissertation for a few precious minutes.

The prospect of having to doll yourself up, leave the house and communicate with other human beings now seems like the thing of nightmares.

The mid-season finale of How to Get Away with Murder is way more exciting than a night out.

Or perhaps you’ll find that you aren’t clambering your way to bed come 7 pm, but you’ll be lucky to find a group of similarly energetic friends to join you, amidst their own workloads and messed up sleep cycles.

Some of us can’t even make it to bed in time.

The LCR is a prime example of the changes seen on campus since your earlier years, abandoning its usually cheesy and fancy dress fuelled Tuesdays for a more trendy mix of House and Techno music.

You rapidly realise that you’re old before your time and that you don’t want to spend your night crammed into a tiny, sweat-filled space with a horde of fresh-faced, drunken, recent high-school leavers, all bopping zombie-like.

You need space to throw out your cheesy dance moves to the likes of Kylie, Whitney and T-Swizzle.

Sounds like Taylor and I are never, ever getting back together.

The clubs in Norwich and especially the LCR, your once sweet haven, just don’t offer you this any more.

There used to be so much more to an LCR night than trying to down as much as you can, as quick as you can in the hopes that you will remember so little, leaving the only assumption that you must have had a good night.

In first year, the fun wasn’t restricted to the dance floor. The party well and truly started back at your flat where you all perfected your well thought out costumes – that was half the fun!

A Harry Potter themed night

Norwich is famously known for having a church for every week of the year and a pub for every day. One of those is certainly more appealing than the other, but it shows that there is more to this fine city than just the LCR and Prince of Wales Street.

There are plenty of amazing restaurants hiding away in every nook and cranny, where you can catch up with friends, actually able to hear one another talk now that you’re not being bombarded by bass.

A great dinner is a much better way of catching up with friends

Of course, alcohol certainly has its merits as a social lubricant but that’s not to say that you must go to a club to enjoy your favourite tipple.

Many pubs and bars around the city put on quiz or karaoke nights. Not only do you get to hang out with your favourite people and enjoy an ice cold beer, but you also get to work out your brain and/or vocal cords.

Quiz nights are seriously underrated

But perhaps even the thought of leaving the house is too much? There’s plenty to do in the comfort of your own home, in the comfort of your own pyjamas, even.

Board game and movie nights are always a good idea, or you could even try your dab hand at a Come Dine With Me style dinner party. Fancy.

Can’t beat a night in with a board game. You don’t even have to change out of your pyjamas

There’s no shame in falling off the clubbing bandwagon, it’s all part of growing up.

So, put away those shot glasses, that Russian Standard and your crop tops. Embrace the quiet nights in guilt-free with a cuppa and a subscription to Netflix.

Revel in the knowledge that you don’t have to spend your weekends in a perpetual cycle of drunkenness and hangover hell to have fun anymore. You’ve worked hard, you deserve the rest.