Panicked freshers call ambulance for hungover flatmate found sleeping in the shower

They thought their flatmate had suffered a heart attack

Panicked first years called 999 after finding their flatmate unconscious in the shower – only to learn the fresher had been hungover and fallen asleep.

The first year was found collapsed in the shower on Sunday morning and concerned flatmates were worried the individual had suffered a cardiac arrest. They immediately called emergency services, reporting their friend was unconscious and not breathing.

Two ambulances, an emergency response car and police arrived at the scene just seven minutes after the 9.19am call – only to find the first year had drunk too much alcohol the night before and fallen asleep in the shower, flooding the flat in the process.

The university were unable to comment on the individual nature of the case, but said:

“UEA has a Student Alcohol Policy which all students are made aware of, and the university, Dean of Students’ Office and Union of UEA Students work together to promote sensible and responsible drinking and provide support for individual students who are concerned about their own drinking behaviours or those of fellow students.”