Minute’s silence held for Politics second year

The university flag will be flown at half mast

Tributes have poured in for second year Politics student, Alexandra Madalina Tihan. 

The second year, who was originally from Romania, has been described by her friends as “one of the loveliest, most positive and optimistic person I knew.”

A minute’s silence was held on campus today. The university flag will also be flown at half mast all week.

Alexandra’s friend and UEA student Albana Aruqaj said: “It’s quite hard to capture Alex’s character with just words. She was ultimately the kindest and most energetic person I ever met at Uni.

“It is hard to imagine Alex as no longer in the world, she was truly rare in that she seemed to savour every moment of her life.”

Alexandra, who also went by Alex or Allie, was active on campus. She was involved in the setting up of the UEA Humanist Society and was keen to join the committee.

The society have decided to dedicate every event they hold to Alexandra once they are fully established.

Alexandra was also passionate about healthy living. She ran a blog from which she shared vegan recipes.

On the blog she wrote: “I am a being wanting to be healthy in body and spirit, recovering after something that has lost me from myself.”

Pharmacy second year and Alexandra’s flatmate in first year, Katie Murray, said: “She was the most health conscious person I know and always tried to eat as healthy and be as healthy as possible which is why it’s so upsetting that she got ill.

“Alex didn’t want any of us to know that she was ill but we all suspected it when she didn’t come back to Uni this year.

“However, we didn’t realise how ill she actually was until it was too late.”

The University are set to release a statement tomorrow.