Watch something weird this Derby Day

Bored of watching the usual teams

From Fencing to Football, the big day for UEA’s sports teams is finally upon us.

With Derby Day here, the time has come for UEA’s sporting talent to show off their strength, and show the superiority that we have over Essex.

All the usual suspects are battling it out, some of the more obscure and little known sports are also taking part in this fierce contest to demonstrate the might of their team.

Pool

While to many Pool may be little more than a Pub game you play with a pint in one hand and rented out cue in the other, UEA’s Pool and Snooker Club take their game pretty seriously.

The Pool and Snooker club are looking forward to meeting Essex again at the weekend to capitalise on their recent 6-1 victory at BUCs.

Club President and everyone’s favourite BNOC Josh ‘Eddie from Pool’ Edwards says that he knows his team have the quality to beat Essex and win a comfortable victory for UEA.

But Josh and his team know that Derby Day isn’t all about the serious nitty-gritty sport. Josh argues that being a spectator at Pool has an edge above every other sport because of the relaxed, “banterful” atmosphere.

There will be the obvious sense of completion and tension. Josh says that his team have a good relationship with the Essex team, so heading down to the Union building to cheer on their team will be a relaxing break from all the hustle and bustle of all the days sporty competitiveness.

UEA’s Pool Team looking to follow up recent success

Ultimate Frisbee

Throwing a Frisbee around a field may seem to many like a fun game to fill the time with, but Ultimate Frisbee takes the easy going playground activity to a new level.

With a combination of rules like those used in Netball and American Football, Ultimate Frisbee is a fast paced, exhilarating game for any sport loving fans to feast their eyes upon.

Club President Tom Hull claims that the support on the sidelines adds to the competitive atmosphere and the excitement of the game, and coming to watch Ultimate Frisbee at the weekend will not only be a great sporting spectacle but also a lively experience for Derby Day. He has full confidence that UEA will “dominate” Essex.

Aside from cheering on our sporting success, Ultimate Frisbee offers the chance to see and experience something new and inspire those who see the boundaries of sport as little more than Football or Rugby.

Climbing

UEA Climbing is another one of our teams with great hope and expectation for Derby Day.

Having recently finished in the top 10 at BUCS and top 4 at the London University Bouldering Event, club President George Russam has full confidence that his team will put on a triumphant performance for the spectators.

George recommends coming to watch the Climbing as not only is he feeling confident that it will produce a great victory for UEA, it will also be a display of some of the top athleticism and strength we have here at UEA.

Despite the event being held off campus (y

ou can find the team climbing around Highball Bouldering Centre, Norwich) going to watch climbing will surely make you proud to be a student at UEA through witnessing a top display of strength and skill that our sports teams hold.

Futsal

Anyone wanting to experience the full force of Derby Day competitiveness should definitely make their way down to watch UEA’s Futsal teams take on Essex.

Whilst Futsal may just seem like a smaller version of Football, this sport offers the physical and technical aspects of Football combined with the end-to-end speed and pace of Basketball.

Club President Edward Dodman suggests that this alone is a reason to come and cheer on our Futsal team, as it will give the audience all the tension and excitement that any Derby Day needs.

Edward also comments that having all the support they can get will be hugely beneficial to the pride of the team as they try to reclaim a victory over Essex after last year’s defeat.

The history between UEA and Essex Futsal teams promises to offer an incredibly heated game at the weekend, perfect for anyone wanting to embrace the full sporting quality that Derby Day has to show off.

Table Tennis

Table Tennis is also bound to bring all the competition and sporting ability anyone would want to see on Derby Day.

Both UEA and Essex’s teams have some top players in their team (Essex even have a player who’s in the top 100 players in the country).

So by going to support our Table Tennis team you’ll be able to watch some true sporting legends in action.

UEA’s Table Tennis club president Paul Hume claims that watching Table Tennis competitions is never dull, as unlike in sports like Football or Cricket where there’s a lot of play time that doesn’t contribute to the final outcome of the game, in Table Tennis every second counts.

Paul also says that having all the support he can get from the home crowd will be a real benefit to his team’s confidence.

Although team UEA will be picking up their paddles knowing they had a comfortable win last year, they have lost many strong players since that victory, so having a huge crowd cheering on the team will certainly boost morale and help the team serve their way to another comfortable victory.

There’s only one thing left to say…….COME ON UEA!