UEA invests £25m into new halls

It’ll be ready in September 2016

Construction believed to start in April on the new accommodation, situated near the UEA’s Blackdale School site.

More students than ever are applying to the well-respected UEA. The university is expecting a seven per cent increase in student numbers over the next four years.

The UEA in 2015 came 14th in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide.

The Blackdale development is to include 850 new rooms. The buildings are expected to be environmentally friendly to fit in with the university’s dedication to researching climate change.

The university is able to offer most full-time first year students a place in their on campus. UEA currently has an estimated 3550 student rooms, and due to increase in demand they are having to expand facilities to cope.

The Blackdale development will start April 2015

It is estimated that this project will cost £25 million.

In their proposal to Norwich City Council UEA says that “as it grows, the University can offer fewer students the campus living experience without additional study bedrooms. New residential capacity incorporating flexible social space is urgently required to support growth in student numbers”

Phase 1- new accommodation to be built on Blackdale site

The new accommodation is believed to be finished in time to accept new students in September 2016. The second stage of the development will be to create new community facilities, which will begin when further funding becomes available.