Third year who stabbed flatmate released without charge

The victim decided not to press charges

A man arrested for stabbing his flatmate during a pre-drinks party has been released without charge.

The incident – believed to have taken place in Block A of Norfolk Terrace – resulted in three ambulances and a police car being called to the scene.

The student was arrested and briefly transported to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital before being taken for questioning at a police station. The flat underwent forensic examination later on Saturday morning.

One student who knew him said: “I’m shaking so much – he was the loveliest guy ever.

“He always looked out for me on nights out, and was always super lovely, but had a tendency to wander – a couple of times he just abandoned us in the clubs in town very early on in the night and walked all the way back to campus.

“But hes such a sweet, funny guy. I am genuinely in shock over the whole thing.”

The man who instigated the attack moved into the flat only a week prior, after swapping with a 28-year old Block A resident who wished to move flats.

The stabbing is thought to have taken place in Block A

A statement released by the police said: “Police were called at around 2.10am on Saturday 7 February to reports that a man had been assaulted at an address on the UEA campus in University Drive.

“The victim, a man in his late 20s, received stab wounds, sustaining injuries to his chest and hand. He was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for treatment.

“A man aged in his early 20s was also taken to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital after sustaining minor hand injuries and was discharged later that morning. The man was later questioned in connection with the incident and was later released without charge.

“Based on the circumstances and that the victim did not wish to make a complaint, no further action was taken.”