LCR refurb to include gender-neutral toilets

Finally

Gender-neutral toilets will be a part of the upcoming LCR refurbishment.

The refurb – due to be completed by September 2015 – will see gender-neutral toilets added to the Red Bar, in place of the gambling machines.

They’ll also be installed as part of a brand new lobby area, which will extend past the toilets in the Hive.

Liam McCafferty, Chair of the Union Management Committee, said: “I’m really excited that we’ll be implementing gender-neutral toilets in the Union from September.

“It’s been a Union policy for years and we’ll finally be ensuring that students aren’t discriminated against in our provision.

“We’ll also be ensuring that we retain options for those that still want to use gender-split toilets.”

Gender-neutral toilets will replace the gambling machines

LGBT+ Officer Daniel Wrigglesworth added: “The decision to have gender-neutral toilets is a fantastic one for our Union.

“We have had policy on it and I’m glad that the refurbishment to Union House is allowing for some really positive changes.”

The LCR will be revamped too, with the bar set to be extended to include more tills and allow faster service.

The medical room will also be moved from its location on the Hive dancefloor closer to the reception area.

And good news for smokers – the current smoking area outside of the Blue Bar will be made permanent, with new retractable fences set to be added (RIP Square).