‘Never Okay’: Union launches campaign targeting sexual tormenters

‘Just because she’s wearing a short skirt… it’s never okay’

The big dogs at our Union are taking a stand against sexual harassment and this week launched the ‘Never Okay’ campaign. 

Not only does it educate students about sexual harrasment, it aims to stop men harassing women in the first place.

Entitled “It’s Never Okay” and accompanied by a survey, a shiny new website and a training program for over 200 Union staff, the campaign seeks to reinforce the message that sexual harassment is unacceptable at university.

Backed by sober posters with messages like “Just because you slept with them last week…” or “Even if you think it’s only banter… it’s never okay”, Never Okay aims to make sure all students know where and how to report sexual harassment.

Over 200 Union bar staff have now been trained in accordance with the Good Night Out Campaign, which ensures that staff know what to do if they see or have an incident reported to them at a Union event.

The main ‘Never Okay’ website also offers information on where to go for official help, ranging from the Union Advice Center to Academic Advisors.

The main campaign is set to target multiple forms of sexual harassment, ranging from unwanted sexual and physical contact to sexual comments, wolf-whistling, and negative comments on sexuality – including homophobic insults.

It emphasises that sexual harassment can also take place anywhere on campus, including halls.

Bee May Bishop, NUS Women’s Campaign officer and founding member of the Never Okay campaign, encouraged students to rely on trained staff members. She said: “They will treat it seriously, as they have been trained to do so.

Sexual harassment is no longer okay in the library, either.

“Once you have made a report you can carry on with your day/night – it doesn’t have to ruin it for you.

“The perpetrator will also be found, spoken to away from you and may be ejected from the venue if deemed necessary.

“The situation will be dealt with how you wish and you do not have to do anything you do not want to – your privacy and wellbeing will be the forefront of the complaint.”