UEA Men’s Hockey unbeaten

What a season

It has been a somewhat slow start to the season for many of our teams, but UEA Men’s Hockey have shaken off the summer break cobwebs easily and have had a fantastic start to the new season.

The team have remained unbeaten in 18 games coming up to Christmas holidays.

Having drawn three, and won a massive 15 overall in their BUCs League and Saturday League respectively, UEA are sitting pretty at the top of Midlands 3A, five points clear of the chasing pack.

The team are currently looking good in their Saturday League as well, in second position, and captains Albert Forsey and Gabriel Inch are pushing for double promotions after narrowly missing out last year.

We caught up with them to find out how they’d been on improving on last years season.

Albert told us that the team have “really improved on keeping possession and finishing”.

As well as this Joe Peplinski, a final year medic on the team, has created a fantasy hockey league within the club which means everyone is playing for points for their teams, based on their performances:

“It just adds incentive, it works exactly like fantasy football. You get points for scoring goals and the defenders get points for clean sheets and there are bonus points for man of the match.”

Stand out players this year have been Ben Mann and Josh Glass, who have been on particularly good form, and Dan Woods, who has improved massively from last year and is doing a great job.

The team have had an influx of freshers too, with ‘Pistol and Pastel’ making the first team, and playing well:

“We hope Pastel gets better soon, he’s out with glandular fever at the moment”. Clearly the hockey team have been doing so well they’ve been catching kissing illnesses on the side

On a serious note, Forsey tells us that his fellow captain Gabriel “has been supplying the tactics and some great drills at training which has been a major contributor to our success. Also, our mascot Cecilia has been brilliant as usual.”

With a fantastic record so far, we hope it continues for the boys into the new year. Hopefully by the end of the season they can have a double promotion and a Derby Day win on their hands!

Support is always welcome so check out the BUCs fixtures and get down to the Sportspark to cheer the UEA Men’s Hockey team on to more victories.