Outrage as UEA organises UKIP event

Protests are expected

Horrified students have started a petition to ban two UKIP representatives from giving a talk at UEA.

The speech, set to take place tonight, will see the Chair of Norwich South Eric Masters and his PPC Steve Emmens give a speech in Lecture Theatre 4.

Organised by the PSI committee, the event aims to outline the Party’s plans for the general election both locally and nationally.

But students have condemned the committee’s decision and a petition has been started to cancel the event. It has already received over 1000 signatures.

Timea Süli, the PSI postgrad who started the petition, said: “My parents are Serbian and Hungarian, and they came here thirty years ago.

“Despite how tolerant and kind people were in the 90s and 00s, I always felt “different” because I didn’t have parents who spoke with an English accent and made fish fingers when I had friends over.

“That childhood experience has taught me how important it is to keep on improving the ways in which we integrate people and families into British society, but also to celebrate the wealth of diversity in the UK.

“I have no political alignment, nor do I have an opinion on any British politics parties. But I do have an opinion on the importance of empathy, and being thoughtful to people who are visitors in the UK.

“The last thing our students deserve is to be intimidated by a political party that essentially wishes to squash them.”

The email sent out to PSI students

Haylie Pallister, President of the PSI Society, defended the decision: “The purpose of this event is discussion and debate from a political standpoint.

“As a politics society we believe it is fundamental to reach out and consult all views and opinions no matter how extreme.

“UKIP are a player in the political system; their presence cannot be denied and just because people do not agree with them doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have their say.

“The petition seems to have been produced without regarding the purpose of the event; it is not a platform for UKIP to gain support or offend students.

“The prevention of the event is of benefit to no one from a political standpoint.”

Students have also speculated about the fact they were only made aware of the event the night before it was held.

Third year student Daniel Delargy said: “I only found out about it via the petition – I don’t recall reading anything around campus or whilst I was skimming my emails which highlighted this event.

“Part of me feels that because of the nature of the event, UEA downplayed it so it wouldn’t get much attention or attenders.

“If it was to prevent attenders, it shows the university to be subtly standing against the party… but if it was to prevent people complaining, it shows the university in a much darker and sinister light, showing a disregard for the opinions of students.”

What do you think? Should UKIP be allowed to give a speech at our uni? Email [email protected] and let us know.