LCR targeted by gang of thieves

29 mobile phones stolen at a gig

A gig at the LCR  ended in disaster on Wednesday after 29 concert-goers discovered their phones had been stolen.

It is believed a gang descended upon the 1500-strong crowd  as they watched Asking Alexandria, taking handsets from coats and bags.

Police were called to the scene after a number of attendees reported their handsets missing.

Although bags were checked by security as Asking Alexandria fans left the venue, none of the thieves were identified at the scene.

A spokesperson for the Union of UEA Students said: “Police attended and we have followed that up with continued cooperation and access to CCTV footage.”

The scene of the crime.

But this is not the first time someone has been caught stealing phones in a Norwich nightclub.

A Norfolk man was jailed for 12 weeks last year after being caught guilty of taking mobiles at Waterfront, another popular student venue.

A police spokesman said: “We would remind people to make sure they are mindful of where and when they use phones and to keep their property close by at all times.

“Organised groups are known to target busy venues as they are seen as ideal hunting grounds for thieves and police are urging revellers to keep a close-eye on belongings.”

Anyone with information about the incident should contact the Norfolk Constabulary.