Union scraps new Waterfront sports night after just two weeks

Drinking rules and awful transport drive athletes into town

The Union has awkwardly cancelled its Waterfront-based night for sports clubs after a dismal trial period.

The first two weeks of the night saw multiple transport problems and a ban on drinking games.

With fewer restrictions, last year the popular night was held in the Blue Bar every Wednesday and provided discounted drinks for Union sports teams.

But this year the decision was made to transfer the event into town, starting off in the Blue Bar at 6pm and then shuttling students to the Waterfront partway through the night.

Sports night has traditionally been held in the Blue Bar

The first cock-up was on launch night when two Union-booked coaches intended to transport society members from outside the bar to the Waterfront had to leave without a single passenger.

This embarrassing mix-up left the Union scrambling to book taxis for multiple students left without transport.

A Union spokesperson weakly acknowledged there had been “teething problems” with transport – but failed to answer any questions about how much the unused coaches had cost.

The spokesperson insisted: “The real issue, which was fed back by many students, was that the event started at 6pm in the Blue Bar and then didn’t carry on in town until 11pm (unavoidably due to gigs in the Waterfront).

“We consulted with students and they are happy to continue with the event every week but keeping it in Union House rather than moving over to the Waterfront half way through.”

Teams are now choosing to go to Lost

And that’s not the worst of it. Sports teams were annoyed to find out about new restrictions placed on drinking in the Blue Bar. Alex Kibbey, President of UEA Football Club, said: “Sports Night used to be the biggest midweek money maker and most popular night for sports clubs. Almost every club used to go.

“Now the Union don’t allow any games of any sort in the pub and you can only buy one drink at a time.

“I don’t think football will go to the bar or Waterfront any Wednesdays.”

And it didn’t take long for the smaller clubs to notice the absence of Men’s Football and Men’s Rugby, two groups which are now choosing to go to city nightclub Lost – which hosts its own ‘sports night’ – on Wednesdays instead.

It does look much better…

But the Union are determined to drag everyone back:

“We are keen to add as much value to the event, with DJs and competitions, as possible as well as a discount at the bar using a SAM card.

“We are dedicated to continuing with this event and will adapt to suit the needs of our members at every juncture.”