Meet the parents (and the freshers they brought with them)

We asked grown ups for some advice for freshers (hint: they want you to stop drinking and start taking opportunities)

Your first week at uni can be daunting. Moving into a new flat with a bunch of strangers is a scary thought.

Luckily for these freshers, their parents are walking fountains of knowledge who are more than willing to dish out the advice. We caught up with the new kids on the block to find out how they’re coping with their first day jitters plus some basic survival tips from their parents.

Fiona studying Pharmacy with her parents Lindsey and Robert

Lindsey: I’m excited for Fiona going to uni but she’s my only child so it’s quite sad. We live in Devon so it’s quite a long way but we’re going to be visiting and we’re going to start exploring East Anglia because we’ve never been here before. We’re going to miss just having her around.

Robert: I want her to take advantage of everything offered.

Lindsey: And don’t get too drunk.

Ben studying Medicine with his parents Nigel and Gillian 

Gillian: He’s worked so hard for this. UEA was his first choice and he’s got it. That’s all you can really want as a parent so I just hope he enjoys it.

It’s fabulous here and everyone has been so incredibly helpful and really gone out of their way even when we’ve just been visiting.

Nigel: I’m going to miss his banter. I just hope he enjoys it and takes every opportunity.

Joe studying Economics with his mum Susan

Susan: We’ve just had a coffee and I’ve told him what to do. I’ve been giving him the lowdown and some stern advice.

I work with graduates so my advice for freshers is to push themselves, go out and achieve something different. I want Joe to join some interesting societies.

I’m going to really miss Joe loads, he’s my rock but this is the next stage of his life. I’ll even miss the socks on the living room carpet, he’s left a collection of them where he sits.

Joe: My hangover cure for Freshers Week is beans on toast. I can make a good curry too and cook pasta.

Susan: I’ve packed him some vitamin C tablets.

Freya studying English Literature with her mum Jo

Freya: I’m looking forward to Freshers. I’ve brought my dance moves and I’ve got lots of fancy dress. I’ve got a witch mask, I’ve got a Jesus cloak and I’ve got a little bonnet. I’ve got all angles covered basically I’m ready for anything.

Jo: I’m a bit nervous about Freya going to uni but out of sight out of mind. She’s here now so she can just get on with it.

I’m going to miss her being at home but I’m definitely not going to miss the clothes on the floor or all the stuff that stays in her room for months or the tidying up after her.

I just want her to make the most of it and enjoy the whole life experience. You’re here to study but also you need to learn about yourself. Don’t worry too much.

Laura studying Environmental Geography and International Development with her mum Wendy (and her sisters Hannah and Rachel)

Laura: I’ve not met anyone from my flat yet so I’m a little nervous but I’ve brought chocolate chip cookies so I think it’ll be ok. I’m looking forward to a few trips to the beach. I’ve heard UEA has a really good student life and there’s lots of friendly people.

Wendy: I haven’t seen any of the Freshers events. I’ve never even heard of a T-shirt party, I’ve only heard about the one where you have to wear your school uniform. I didn’t get to go to university, I didn’t have the opportunity but I would have loved to have gone. Let me have it now!

Essien studying Politics

Essien: My mum just walked me as far as the front door of my flat and said bye. She told me not to spend my money on anything stupid, don’t get to drunk and make sure to study.

We had a flat party last night which was pretty good and we’re having another one tonight. During the party we found this free crate of Red Bull which was definitely appreciated.

I’m not hungover today though, I’m still going strong and I can’t wait for the week to get properly started. My top hangover cure is happiness and some of last night’s leftover Red Bull.

Aiden studying Psychology with his parents Lisa and Marcus (and his sisters Robyn and Keris)

Lisa: I’m a little bit nervous about Aiden moving out. I’m worried he’s going to forget to eat, he’s absolutely rubbish. Please just remember to eat when you’re drinking. I’m just sure he’s going to drink and forget to eat!

Keris: I’m going to miss him playing guitar at home. We like listening to his music. But it’s ok because I’m getting his room. I got the free sweets out of his welcome box too.

Robyn: We’re not going to miss the way he smells though.

Mercy studying Film and History with her mum Mrs Phillips (and her brothers Peter, Levi and John)

Mercy: I’m really excited about Freshers! I’m looking forward to meeting everyone especially my new flatmates. I’m going to the Welcome Party tonight so I’m excited about that… but I haven’t told my family that yet.

Peter: We’re excited to get her out of the house we get a free room. We’re going to miss everything about her but it’s fun to see her getting out there into the big wide world, getting more knowledge. Hopefully she’ll come back and teach me a few things.

Levi: My advice for all the freshers is to keep your priorities in focus. You’re here to learn but uni is one of the best times ever so make sure you enjoy it as well.

Lucy studying Plant Science and Biology with her parents Julie and Malcolm

Malcolm: I hope Lucy settles in really well and enjoys her course. I hope she takes lots of opportunities. My advice to all Freshers is to not drink too much. Know your limits!

Julie: No! My advice is the reverse! Just have loads of fun and enjoy it. That’s the whole idea of uni isn’t it? So just do it and live it. I hope this year Lucy finds a really good hangover cure.