UEA second year climbs the ranks of women’s American Football

Angelie Dela Cruz, of UEA’s own UEA Pirates, will represent GB internationally

Summer is arguably a time to be as lazy as you want, but some students put us all to shame with their achievements over the break.

One of these is UEA student and American Football player Angelie Dela Cruz, who has been selected as part of the Great Britain Women’s Practice Squad.

Angelie was first selected by BAFA (British American Football Association) as one of 41 players to form the GB travelling team for the first female American Football international fixture in Sweden.

The second year student, studying DiPHE Operating Department Practice, later found out she had then been successful and made the match squad.

The match is a full 11 aside fixture against the Swedish national side, taking place in Stockholm on September 20th.

Copyright of BAFA

Angelie joined the American Football Club last September and only played her first match in June this year.

“The club is very proud of Angelie,” said a UEA Pirates spokesman. “She has been an inspirational part of the team this season and we’re looking forward to seeing her development next year.”

Plastow Photography

Joe Mumford, the UEA Pirates’ President told the Tab of Angelie’s dedication to the sport while juggling her degree, explaining she has attended  “over 90% of practices which, when combined with the expert training of our coaches, especially Mark Rivett – an ex-UEA student, has become a terrific Quarter Back with her finest moment coming on Derby Day 2014 helping the team smash Essex and retain the overall title.”

Angelie has not only made the GB Women’s Practice Squad but has also been selected as part of their match squad.

“It still hasn’t sunk in,” says Angelie.

“It’s not real to me that I’m playing a sport with so much meaning behind it. It’s a historic event.”

Angelie says she hopes to continue her American Football career after graduating: “After I finish my course I want to find a women’s team that I can be a part of and keep playing, but ultimately I want to represent GB again in the future.”

Plastow photography

If you would like to keep up to date with BAFA and find out how Angelie and the team get on then you can like their Facebook page here.