Pimp My Barrow raises over £10,000 for charity

UEA students have raised over £10,000 by taking part in this year’s Pimp My Barrow.

big C cancer charity Pimp my barrow pmb uea

The event, organised by the Union and UEA Raising and Giving Society (RAG), attracted 1,825 students and raised approximately £10,428.71, most of which came from ticket sales and collection bucket donations.

The money raised was presented to Big C, a Norfolk cancer charity that provides families, patients and carers affected by cancer with support from diagnosis to treatment. It was split into two parts, with one half going to the Big C Cancer Support Centre and the other into funding cancer treatment research at UEA.

The presentation involved the Union, Big C, and UEA RAG Society.

This year’s event drew in 1,825 students (Photo: UEA RAG)

Stephen Anderson, UEA RAG President, said: “This is a great event that has created a fantastic legacy of UEA students helping to raise significant amounts of money for charity.

“Big C is very grateful for the time and effort that the UEA students go to to make their costumes and wheelbarrows so inventive and eye-catching. It’s the effort that the students put in that makes Pimp My Barrow such a unique and hugely successful event. It has certainly become a date in the UEA calendar that no student deserves to miss!”

Pimp My Barrow was created in 2007 by former UEA students Paul Wheeler and Tom Tapper and has raised over £50,000 since it began.

Tom said: “I’m absolutely amazed that Pimp My Barrow has continued to grow, year on year, and now in the hands of the Union of UEA Students has managed to raise nearly £50,000 for an incredibly important local charity.”