UEA beats own record in league table

UEA has beaten its own record in the Complete University Guide’s league table, coming an impressive 15th place.

UEA has shot up five places in The Complete University Guide’s league table, from 20th place in 2014 to 15th place for 2015.

Out of 123 universities included in the league table, UEA has reached its highest ever ranking, and has made the highest advancement out of all the region’s universities.

To determine a university’s position in the league table, scores in nine areas are assessed, including student satisfaction, research assessment, spending on academic services and graduate prospects.

UEA scored exceptionally well, with its student satisfaction levels beating the Guide’s 2nd place University of Oxford, as well as LSE, Durham, Warwick and UCL, who all ranked within the top 10 universities.

Vice-chancellor Professor Edward Acton said: “I am absolutely delighted to see UEA placed in the country’s top 15 universities in this well-respected guide. It consolidates last year’s league table successes, including the number one spot in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey and 17th place in both the Guardian and the Times tables. It is a tribute to the exceptional efforts of our staff and students, who make UEA such a rewarding place in which to work and study.”

The creators of the table said that at many universities, student to staff ratios had improved because institutions are taking on more staff, combined with the falling student numbers, whilst more money is also being spent on student facilities.

It will come as a relief for many to see UEA back on track after this month’s earlier proposed marking boycott which was eventually called off. It must be noted that UEA also ranked 24 places higher than its favourite frenemy Essex, furthering the victory from winning Derby Day this year.