Monogamy at uni – as big a myth as the library showers?

‘I don’t think it is possible to gain everything you need from one person’

| UPDATED monogamy tab cheating survey

While it’s drummed into us from birth that finding “the One” is as paramount as finding a job that pays well, is this the case at uni?

Personally, I don’t believe in monogamy. Not because I’m scared of sleeping with one person for the rest of my life – that is far too clichéd an excuse. I simply don’t think it is possible to gain everything you need from one person.

We live in a world where we are constantly connecting and conversing with hundreds of different people. Surely the knowledge and worth they can bring to our lives is worth more than just one human being.

That’s not to say that my opinion isn’t going to change after graduation. I’m well aware that, in the cold light of the real world, spending days bonding with friends in alcohol-filled darkened rooms is replaced by the traditional 9-5. Try as we might to deny it, relationships grow as we age and our needs evolve.

I just don’t want to sign a marriage certificate before I’m finished “evolving”. And while I have friends who are happily married with children, I also have friends who have split the second the pregnancy test changed colour and spent their days fighting it out over Facebook. It would seem that for every happy relationship we see, ten more are falling apart.

Uni is a learning curve – enjoy it while you can

So just because you think you found “the One” the second you locked eyes during a hungover visit to the Hive in Freshers Week doesn’t mean it’s true.

Change is inevitable across a three year period, and so is what we look for in a life partner. University is essentially a learning environment, so why not let this extend outside of the library and into our love lives?