Norwich’s best-kept secret – The Plantation Garden

Need to escape the concrete jungle and the stress of exams? Then head to Norwich’s best-kept secret – The Plantation Garden.

Culture norwich

Let me tell you about a little secret who lives just down road… Earlham Road! Yes, that’s right – during those frequently nauseous journeys from UEA to the Prince of Wales strip, you’ve been beer-goggling right past one of our city’s best kept secrets – The Plantation Garden.

Just paint a pretty picture in your head of being a world away from this term’s essays and exams because we’ve found the escape that you’ve been searching for!

The secret garden

The Plantation Garden is tucked safely away behind the St John’s Baptist Cathedral which is impossible to miss! The first plans for it were drawn up over 150 years ago and it gained its “secret status” after forty years of neglect during the World Wars but thankfully it’s since been restored and is now home to a beautiful landscape for you Norwich-folk to explore.

So relaxing!

So what’s there to see? Apart from marvels of Victorian taste and the Gothic-style fountain, you’ll find a rustic serpentine walkway which leads up to the summer house. We’d recommend taking a seat up there where you can enjoy the garden. It also happens to be in perfect keeping with spring and the impending exam period – so whether you’re clocking in your next revision break or just plain curious, be sure to schedule some secret garden time away from the concrete jungle!

We’ve got one little request – we’re going to ask you to contribute to the GPO honesty box at the entrance. £2 will do and it will help maintain the garden so you can keep going back! PLUS we’ll chuck in the additional guarantee that it’s certainly worth the surprise. To find opening times, events and more information, check out The Plantation Garden website.

Enjoy!