WiFinally in halls

No more struggling with the cable wire as UEA announces it will be installing WiFi in halls.

halls UEA accommodation wifi
Students will finally be getting WiFi in accommodation across campus, the uni has announced.
University officials have announced that UEA will be seeing WiFi hotspots installed across campus. Work began over Easter and is set to continue until early September, before the new batch of Freshers arrive for their first year.
In an official press release, they said: “Wireless network provision in residences has been highlighted in key surveys as an area for improvement.”
The next few months will see over 1000 new hotspots installed in student residences with a maximum of twelve devices per room being permitted by the wireless connection, allowing for iPads, smartphones and Kindles to be used. The 8MB connection speed will provide unlimited use for students and will mean they are not restricted to using the internet in their bedrooms.
While the work won’t benefit current UEA students, new students will no longer have to deal with the pains of watching a film from their desk because the cable wire won’t stretch to their bed.

No more struggling with the cable wire

The accommodation office assures students that the work will not disrupt current students, but students have been affected by the work already. First year student and Nelson Court resident Emily Kench said: “It’s pointless it being installed this late in the year when we’re about to leave. I don’t know why it can’t be installed over summer when we’re not revising because the noise is quite loud.”
Another first year student, Jamie Baggett, also of Nelson Court, said: “It’s good that UEA is installing wireless networks now, because as a university it seems quite an old concept to use cable connections.”

WiFi will be installed in all accommodation across campus, including Nelson Court

The WiFi is a step towards more modern and progressive accommodation, but it also comes with a cost – UEA’s accommodation prices are rising for the next academic year, with the most expensive being the en suite premium rooms such as Nelson Court and Paston House, where the cost has increased to £128.32 per week. With an increase of almost £10 a week, prospective students will expect excellent WiFi service.
What do you think of the new changes? Is WiFi worth the price increase?