DERBY DAY 2014 UEA-30.5 Essex-28.5 UEA Campeones!

So here it was, the day of reckoning, the event to end all events, the biggest date in the calendar-UEA v Essex Derby Day AND WHAT A DAY!

The Tab excitedly set their alarm for 7:30am on Sunday (as excitedly as you can set an alarm for 7:30am) and travelled to the enemy land with the wonderful UEAWFC and the charming Men’s Hockey 2nds. The coach was already brimming with excitement, along with a tempered adrenaline at the thought of soon meeting and playing the old enemy. Chants of ‘Yellows Yellows’ rung out, led by Lois Dunn on the mic. The scene was set for a wonderful Derby Day, and the weather and Essex pitches were in fine form.

We were on our way!

Morning-

The day started particularly early for Futsal, Squash, Men’s Table Tennis and Women’s Lacrosse-all starting before 10am. First blood went to Essex with the UEA Futsal team putting on a spirited performance, but just not enough. The Women’s Lacrosse game was end-to-end, finally ending a wonderful 9-6 to UEA. Wonderful because it was our first point of the day, having previously gone 1 up after the equestrian events held the previous Thursday.

Two of the big events, Men’s Rugby 2’s and UEAFC 2s were kicking off at the same time. Whilst, unfortunately, Men’s Lacrosse were being beaten quite soundly, across the field the UEAFC 2nd team were competing in a  game that had everything. After conceding just before half-time ‘the Yellows’ found themselves 2-1 down. What followed in the second half was quite extraordinary. Bradley Nelson headed the U’s level, however, after a bad back pass, goalkeeper Kavi Luchowa was judged to have brought down the Essex striker, a heinously bad decision by the referee. The penalty was dispatched by the Essex striker, however, UEA were soon up the other end of the pitch winning their own penalty after good play by Taylor Hastings. Alex Willerton buried the penalty and the game ended 3-3. Meanwhile, the Men’s Rugby 2nd team got off to a great start, crossing over for a try within the first 5 minutes. The boys raced into a 17-0 lead, but unfortunately were unable to hold on, and after a spirited comeback from Essex the game ended in a 17-17 draw. There were a few nasty looking injuries on the pitch, and we wish all those affected well.

UEAFC 2s show what it means to score on Derby Day

After a long game Table-Tennis picked up the point for UEA, and Fencing was into sudden death. UEA Cheerleading could feel rightly aggrieved of a winning result in their contest, having performed amazingly they lost in the dance section, and drew in stunt. UEA Korfball picked up a point winning 7-4, and the ‘Yellows’ were controlling the Frisbee game.

Afternoon-

Attention was now turned to the Women’s Football game. After a narrow victory in the snow (!) for UEAWFC last year they dominated this game, and were unlucky to go in at the break 0-0. Two wonder goals from striker Aviyah Abrahams won the game for the U’s, the whole team performing amazingly! (Full report to follow.)  Meanwhile, the women were doing the job all over the place for UEA, as Women’s Rugby won 70-0 in their match, after a delayed start. A fantastic result for the girls!

Men’s Hockey 2’s won their game, and after a big delay after their coach broke down (reports of the team sunning themselves at the side of the motorway, topless I may add, flying around) the 1st team won their game 3-1. UEA Cricket won their match, bowling Essex out to win by 30 runs, and in another huge match-Men’s Rugby 1st team were controlling their game. The UEAFC 1st team performed well, but lost their 2-0 lead and the game ended in a 2-2 draw. Much controversy reigned throughout this match with both sets of fans running on with every goal, and the officials saying if it happened again the match would be abandoned. At one point Essex fans came to where the UEA fans were to start a fight, but luckily our LCR bouncers had seemingly followed us to Essex and were there to pull us apart!

Men’s Rugby 1st XV smashed their game. At the same time Women’s Table-Tennis unfortunately lost, but Golf secured a draw. Women’s Squash won their game 4-0, but both Volleyball sides lost to their Essex counterparts in hard-fought games. It soon became evident this was working out to be one of the closest Derby Days ever. As Netball stated play outdoors, we were 1 point behind Essex with just 2 events to go. With the support of lots of teams who had finished their days play, and with UEA Rugby commandeering a megaphone, Netball smashed both their games, putting us now a point ahead. With Water Polo winning, it was down to Pool, to get us to the 30.5 points needed to win.

In a crowded bar, with banter being flung from both sets of fans, with a particularly humorous chant led by Eliot Altay and Alex Kibbey-‘Where’s Your Neck At’, at an opposition pool player who frankly had no neck, we settled in for a long night. I always think I’m quite good at pool but the level shown by both sides was phenomenal. A close game at the beginning, UEA ran away with it at the end, keeping their cool. And with the last frame down, and the black ball potted the trophy was coming home-our first win on enemy soil since 2006! This reporter was quite drunk toward the end, numerous ciders and desperados having been consumed.

*Disclaimer-One of the best things about being a sports reporter on Derby Day (although it doesn’t make it easy) is the sheer amount of results, stats. and overall reports coming in every minute! There are so many events going on, results are flying in every which way and you find yourself just as tired as the players giving their all on the pitches/courts/pools. I hope this report gives an example of the day, although I know I haven’t included everything. Results will come in over the next couple of days, but we all know every sports side gave their all, and played amazingly. Win or lose, we are UEA, we are together, and we are Derby Day 2014 Champions! Of course we are, we’re the best! OH UEAAAAAA…

The Reaction

The reaction on Twitter, where #DerbyDay2014 started trending in Britain, was priceless!

The Pool player who won the last game was the wonderful Eddie, who deserves Leo from Wolf of Wall Street praise-

These guys summed up what we all knew-

And here it was-now taking pride of place in the Hive reception-