UEAWFC puts five past Bedford!

The UEA Women’s Football team came out 5-1 winners against their Bedford counterparts following a dominant display.

UEAWFC got off to a quick start at sunny Colney, scoring four goals in quick succession within the first 20 minutes, effectively putting the game out of Bedford’s reach.

Lining up in a preferred 4-4-2 formation, with wide wingers and pressing full-backs, UEA gave Bedford next to no time on the ball, hurrying the play and spraying passes all over the pitch.

The first goal was somewhat lucky, although well-deserved, bundled in by Ellie Norton from a corner when the ball fell kindly into the box. The final touch actually came off the UEA centre midfielder’s thigh, but they all count!

The second goal came soon after – a shot from just outside the box by prolific UEA striker Emily McNamara looped in over the goalkeeper, so subtle that the UEA girls didn’t realise it had gone in until the Bedford goalkeeper picked the ball up from the back of the net.

After the initial surprise the focus was back on scoring more goals to really put the fixture to bed.

The always-impressive Katie Fray dribbled down the right wing, cutting into the middle and slotting the ball past the helpless Bedford keeper, and she wasn’t done there – a few minutes later she caught up with a ball hopefully played over by the Yellows’ defence, and calmly finished to make it 4-0 to UEAWFC before half-time.

The team put on an impressive display

Throughout the first half the UEA defence was barely troubled, with the Bedford strikers being caught offside numerous times. At one point it seemed that one had slipped through, although she was later flagged off – however, keeper Becky White was not aware of this and pulled off a good save.

The only blemish of a great first-half for UEA came when centre-back Natalie Manley, making her last appearance for the Yellows in BUCs, was injured. The imperious defender’s game was cut short with a twisted knee, and she will be sorely missed by the team.

After half-time and the changes made as Sammy Algar stepped in to fill the defender’s position, the team stuttered slightly with Bedford coming more into the game.

The away-team managed to get themselves on the score sheet after a shot that had been well-saved by White rebounded into the path of the Bedford striker who would have found it hard not to miss.

As it was, UEA got a lucky break to truly take the game away from Bedford. Emily McNamara, running towards goal with the ball, was knocked over by a seemingly innocuous challenge from the Bedford centre-back.

However, the referee blew for a free-kick that was buried in the top corner by Amelia Glean. The last goal was harsh on Bedford, but the game was pretty much already won for UEA.

A top performance by all the girls had left no room for Bedford to make any in-roads in the game, and the 3 points were safely in the bag for UEA from the offset.