Mascara: Tried and tested

Fashion Editor Holly O’Brien shares her latest beauty find.

If I’ve tried and tested one make-up product enough – it’s mascara. Given a choice, I’d make it my desert-island beauty essential. If asked to only wear one make-up item, it would win hands down. I’m a fan of big, voluminous lashes, which always comes with the risk of them turning clumpy, especially as I apply more than one coat before leaving the house.

I’ve tried the cheapest mascaras possible, and even experienced the “why have I spent £20 on a mascara” purchase – not quite finding the one. Until now. I don’t know whether it was the massive picture of Kate Moss that lured me in, or the £2 off promotional offer, but Rimmel’s new ‘lash accelerator endless’ mascara has changed the game.

You got me this time, Kate.

With ‘micro-fibres’ and a a lash-catching, soft plastic brush, it clings to and lengthens each individually, with no clumps, even after additional coats. It says that it has ‘grow lash complex’, and although I don’t buy into the whole “this mascara will make your lashes grow and volumise by 700%” nonsense, I do think that it makes lashes look  longer, fanned out and more conditioned compared to other products. I curl my lashes before applying 2 coats, and so far, I haven’t experienced any flaking, so it’s definitely a winner for me!

The brush of dreams