Oh No- Are They Closing Kartel?

Everyone’s favourite late night club Kartel is facing closure after having its opening hours cut.

closure club kartel norwich police

Kartel has been threatened with closure following a spate of violent incidents at the venue.

The club saw its openings hours cut after police complaints of serious violence and disorder following an incident in which a man climbed onto the roof and dislodged a pane of glass which fell and injured six people, as well as a large-scale fight in which doormen were “rolling on the floor” brawling with customers.

Police applied to the council which decided to make changes ahead of a full review, including changing the last entry from 3.15am to 2.45am and closing an hour earlier at 3am – changes which owner Brad Baxter believes will mean the end of Kartel if made permanent.

“If I have to go back to [last entry at] 2.45am then we are 100% going to go out of business” he said, adding that up to 70% of his trade was done after 2.30am as staff from other bars arrived after their shifts.

Co-owner Brad Baxter says the club will be forced to close if new changes are made permanent. Photo: EDP

Andy Owens, for Norfolk Police, said the main concern was “the lack of ability to manage those within the club in a responsible manner” and believes the club has a “track record”, with the majority of incidents taking place after 2am.

Councillors were shown CCTV footage of a fight on January 29 in which a group of men kicked out attacked doormen, forcing them to run back inside and shut the doors, locking all staff and customers inside. Inspector Darren Brooks said of the footage: “In 17 years of licensing I’ve not seen a lack of control on the doors to that degree.”

Mr Baxter apologised for the brawl, saying the club was busy due to a Norwich City game, but argues that these incidents only occurred after people became angry at the club’s legitimate attempts to eject them from the venue. He said the club had tried to work with police and has implemented new CCTV systems, and is working on health and safety plans and joining the radio network linking night-time venues. He added that the club had a strong record of refusing entry.

When contacted by The Tab, he added: “The council is trying to paint us as a violent place in general which is one of the most ridiculous accusations we have ever heard.

“Since I took over 16 months ago we haven’t had a single fight in the bar and this is due to us being vigilant with our ejections. The council gave many examples of incidents and many were untrue – nobody fell asleep in the club due to intoxication and no girls were assaulted in the club either.

“The glass pane was a freak incident that was caused by someone with intimate knowledge on how to get up there.

“I want to look at statistics. I am convinced we are the safest place in the city based on hours open – we’re open seven days a week and they give us statistics compared to places open two days a week. Where’s the logic in that?”

The club has started a petition which has already received over 300 signatures and has seen considerable support on social networking sites, with a Facebook status deeming Kartel a “safe place” receiving 770 “likes”. The club’s Twitter has also asked users to tweet the hashtag “#savekartel” in a bid to keep the club open.

Jon Beckley, second year Adult Nursing student, told The Tab: “Kartel is always friendly and relaxed. I’ve never at any point felt threatened or worried about a fight breaking out. Cutting the opening hours won’t affect the behaviour of people looking to cause trouble or ruin others’ nights. They’ll do it earlier, that’s all that will change.

“I think it’s unfair to target Kartel in this situation when they have such a good record compared to clubs on Prince of Wales. It almost feels like Kartel have been used as a scapegoat rather than targeting the people behind these anti-social problems. They are allowed to get in such states in other clubs so why aren’t these clubs being held accountable?”

A Twitter user shows her support by wearing a personalised #savekartel top

21-year-old Norwich resident Lauren Smith added: “I think this is crazy. Kartel is a lovely place – the staff are great and the atmosphere is always amazing. I’ve never once seen a fight in there! As for the door staff – they’re brilliant. Nice people and do their jobs properly.

“The glass pane is the only incident I can think of that’s happened in there, and it had nothing to do with Kartel staff – it was just one person who made a silly mistake. Fighting is so common in the clubs down Prince of Wales but the council seems to take no notice.

“Cutting hours wouldn’t make the slightest difference even if it was a dangerous place. You get people who come out looking for fights and they don’t care where they have them. Majority of people just want to have a good time. I love the place and I’m shocked that all this is happening.”

A full review will be taking place within 28 days.